Are Face Cleansing Brushes Worth It? To Buy Or Not To Buy
Can These High-Tech Tools Be Necessary For Thoroughly Removing Makeup?
The idea of clean skin is something that has evolved drastically over the years. Less than a decade ago, we were all looking for cleansers that gave a squeaky-clean feeling to the skin.
Now, we realize that the squeaky-clean feeling often comes at the cost of damaging our skin barrier, causing sensitivity and skin infections.
For that balanced facial cleansing experience, you need products that can remove excess oil and dirt without stripping your skin dry.
Cleansing should leave your skin clean enough to prevent acne or bacterial infections yet hydrated enough to retain a healthy barrier. Face cleansing brushes claim to offer this perfect cleanse to your skin. These brands promise smaller pores and smoother skin without drying out or damaging the delicate skin barrier or acid mantle.
But do all cleansing brushes live up to these claims? Are they truly worth the investment or can we get the same results with our own hands?
What Are The Benefits Of Face Cleansing Brushes?
If you pick the right cleansing brush for your skin type, it can offer you the following benefits that make it better than using our hands:
1. A deeper cleanse – The bristles of a face cleansing brush offer better contact with the skin, which are better for deep cleaning the pores and beneath our tiny face hairs. Plus, many brushes also offer a gentle vibration that helps remove trapped makeup and oil that you may otherwise miss. Lastly, you can use less of your face wash product as the wet bristles create a rich lather than covers every pore.
2. Easier to use – Let’s admit it, washing your face at the end of a long day can often be a tiring task. There might even be days when you skip cleansing out of sheer exhaustion. However, this can be a rookie skin care mistake as unclean skin is a breeding ground for bacteria. Face cleansing brushes make the job so much easier and clean the skin without requiring much effort from you. Thus, they are a great pick for the busy bees who are too exhausted by the end of the day for their skincare routine.
3. Mild daily exfoliation – Face cleansing brushes are multi-tasking tools that cleanse and exfoliate the skin in one go with their soft bristles. Not only do they save you some precious time, but they are also gentler than gritty physical scrubs. They remove the top layer of dead skin cells while cleansing to tackle dullness and rough congested pores. This daily gentle exfoliation can help prevent acne from dead skin cell build up while keep your skin looking radiant and polished.
How To Pick The Right Cleansing Brush For Your Skin Type?
When face cleansing brushes first hit the skincare aisles, everybody was going gaga over the Clarisonic brush. However, it is now public knowledge that the Clarisonic may not be the best choice for all skin types. In fact, it can cause more breakouts, dryness, and irritation due to its intense exfoliation action, especially if you have sensitive skin.
However, this does not mean that all cleansing brushes are bad for you. All you need to do is pick the right cleansing brush for your skin type, and you will be able to enjoy its benefits short and long-term!
Here are some tips on how to choose the perfect cleansing brush for different skin types:
· Sensitive Skin – For sensitive skin, we recommend a manual cleansing brush with super soft bristles. For example, Naturopathica’s Facial Cleansing Brush will work really well for you because of its ultra-soft nylon bristles. Manual brushes with soft bristles do not exfoliate or irritate sensitive skin and offer a thorough yet gentle cleanse. So, if your skin is prone to redness or irritation, stick with these.
· Oily, Acne-Prone Skin – Oily and acne-prone skin needs deep pore cleansing. So, an electric cleansing brush with silicone bristles is perfect for this skin type. We recommend the Foreo Luna if you have oily skin with acne. Its gentle vibrations will exfoliate your skin and unclog your pores, while its silicone bristles ensure that it’s not abrasive. Additionally, silicone brushes are easier to clean and disinfect, making them a hygienic choice that prevents skin contamination.
· Dry Skin – For dry skin, we recommend a manual face cleansing brush with mixed bristles, aka a combination of synthetic and silicone bristles. With manual brushes, you can control the pressure you apply on your skin, preventing over-exfoliation that can be damaging. Plus, the mixed bristles provide a great cleanse with mild exfoliation. Additionally, mild daily exfoliation helps the skin better absorb hydrating products with the dead skin cells out of the way. Shiseido’s Ultra-Gentle Cleansing Massage Brush checks all these boxes and is our pick for dry skin.
How To Use A Face Cleansing Brush?
· A little cleanser goes a long way with these brushes, and they can produce a rich lather easily. So, use a smaller amount of any gentle cleanser with a cleansing brush than you would with your fingers.
· Prepare your skin with warm water before going in with a face cleansing brush. This will open up your pores and the brush will be able to more effectively deep cleanse.
· Massage your face with the cleansing brush for approximately a minute, going the opposite direction of your face hairs. Then, rinse your face with cool water to boost the blood flow to your skin.
Tips To Clean And Maintain Your Face Cleansing Brush
· Wash your cleansing brush with soap and warm water after every use. Store it in a dry area to avoid contamination.
· If you have acne, dip the bristles of the face cleansing brush in hydrogen peroxide solution to disinfect them. After this, dry and store the brush as usual.
· Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation on how often to replace the brush head to avoid fraying and contamination.
Does Everyone Need A Face Cleansing Brush?
While you can survive without a face cleansing brush, the right one can certainly benefit your skin. A cleansing brush designed for your skin type will clean and exfoliate your face without irritating it, keeping dullness, acne, and dead skin cells at bay. So, if you want an effortless and effective cleansing routine, take the leap and invest in a face cleansing brush!